The problems that have been created or worsened by coal didn't happen overnight, and no single solution will fix these problems overnight.
The battle for progress in the coalfields has been hard-fought. While Citizens Coal Council has been at the forefront of the national grassroots coalfield movement, we have come to understand that progress is best achieved and sustained when there is a pro-active plan that focuses on solutions.
Citizens Coal Council (CCC) has been working diligently since its inception to promote transparency and accountability in legislative and regulatory bodies, as well as the decision-making that has direct and indirect effects on communities impacted by the mining, processing and use of coal. Our work over the years has allied us with more than 60 groups concerned with coal’s impact. These alliances have been, and will continue to be, an integral part of CCC’s efforts.
In line with our mission and organizational values, CCC has developed four initiatives that will continue to guide our work. While CCC may be more active in some initiatives than others, we still strongly support all efforts and seek to increasingly incorporate them into our work. Click on each initiative to find out more about our work in these areas.
READ CCC-SPONSORED REPORTS
- Undermining Trust: The Collapse of Environmental Protection in PA, A Review and Analysis of PADEP's 5th Act 54 Report & A 25 Year Summary. (Schmid & Company, Inc., 2021)
- LONGWALL MINING A to Z: Learning from the Pennsylvania Experience (Schmid & Company, Inc., 2016)
- The Increasing Damage from Underground Coal Mining in Pennsylvania: A Review and Analysis of the PADEP’s Third Act 54 Report (Schmid & Company, Inc., 2011)
- A Need to Identify “Special Protection” Status and Apply Existing Use Protections to Certain Waterways in Greene and Washington Counties Pennsylvania (Schmid & Company, Inc., 2010)
- Protection of Water Resources From Longwall Mining Is Needed in Southwestern Pennsylvania (Schmid & Company, Inc., 2011)